Friday, July 24, 2020

‘Untamed’ Seeks to Find Your Inner Truth

Glennon Doyle’s “Untamed” asserts that we were conditioned at a young age to be something that we are not.  She asks, “Who was I before I became who the world told me to be?” (p. 6).  This “taming” begins around age ten, when “children begin to hide who they are in order to become what the world expects them to be… Ten is when the world sat me down, told me to be quiet, and pointed towards my cages” (p. 4). 

The more Doyle tried to tame the “wild” within her, the more she truly lost herself.  It was not until many years later as an adult that she came to this realization-and came to accept and Know the person she was supposed to be.

When Doyle shares learning of her husband’s infidelity, Doyle’s reaction might appear to some as odd, but as a writer myself who can appreciate the perfect plot mixed in with humor, (whether it was added for comedic relief or her actual reaction at the time), I would call it freaking fabulous.  “I sat in the driver’s seat for a while and realized that the revelation of my husband’s betrayal did not leave me feeling the despair of a wife with a broken heart.  I was feeling the rage of a writer with a broken plot.  Hell hath no fury like a memoirist whose husband just f***d up her story” (p. 33).

Ironically, at the very book tour where she was promoting “Love Warrior” about her current “love story,” was where her next love story began- when a woman named Abby lit the room on fire.  Doyle’s love for her wife Abby is conveyed so poignantly throughout this book, that it makes you wonder if love at first sight exists.  “Fire-red and golden rolling bubbles of pain and love and longing filled me, brought me to my feet, threw my arms open wide, insisting: There. She. Is” (p. 46).  Seeing Abby brought out her “wild.”  She writes, “I wanted her, and it was the first time I wanted something beyond what I had been trained to want” (p. 5).  It was the first time Doyle gave herself permission to love without restriction.  “After thirty years of contorting myself to fit inside someone else’s idea of love, I finally had a love that fit—custom made for me, by me” (p. 5).

Some might call Doyle’s story or family unconventional—but the purpose of this book is to challenge conventions.  Any word that was ever created is a perception of how groups of people came to describe something.  Accepting the way things are “supposed to be” takes away from individual lived experiences.  Doyle shares her experiences, showing how she challenges the system, whatever that might be.  A family does not have to be nuclear.  Love does not have to be between a man and a woman.  Doyle challenges you to ask yourself what beliefs you hold that you were conditioned to believe as truths and then flip them on their head.  Find your truth.  Find your Knowing. 

The problem with conformity is of course nothing changes.  People remain comfortable, complacent even.  Every movement in history started with someone bringing light to the uncomfortable.  As Doyle writes, it was only when she stopped pleasing others that became who she was meant to be.  “I set free my beautiful, rowdy, true wild self…I did it by resurrecting the very parts of myself I was trained to mistrust, hide, and abandon in order to keep others comfortable..” (p. 47).

As Doyle recalls speaking with Oprah Winfrey about her first memoir in which she wrote, “I was born a little broken,” (p. 114), Doyle now sees the absurdity of that statement.  She writes on p. 92, “Broken means: does not function as it was designed to function.  A broken human is one who does not function the way humans are designed to function.” 

As Doyle speaks candidly about her battles with bulimia and alcoholism, this becomes even clearer.  Life was not designed to be easy.  It was meant to be messy and challenging.  “Being human is not hard because you’re doing it wrong, it’s hard because you’re doing it right.  You will never change the fact that being human is hard, so you must change your idea that it was ever supposed to be easy” (p. 93).  Our shared human experiences are filled with doubt, envy, longing to do better or be better, etc.  Confronting these challenges is what makes us human.  “If this is our shared human experience, where did we get the idea that there is some other, better, more perfect, unbroken way to be human?” (p. 93).   

Everyone possesses within them a voice that guides them.  Some might call it a conscience, others might call it God, but Doyle calls it the Knowing.  “The Knowing feels like warm, liquid gold filling my veins..” (p. 58).  She first discovered it after several sessions of climbing into her closet, closing her eyes, and “sinking” into herself.  “I have learned that if I want to rise, I have to sink first” (p. 60).  When confronted with decisions, Doyle writes, “I just do the next thing the Knowing guides me toward, one thing at a time.  I don’t ask permission first..” (p. 60). 

If there’s anything I’ve learned from this book it is to be brave- whatever that means to you.  Embrace your Knowing.  When you find it, there is no need to be afraid.  Take chances.  Defy conventions.  You got this.

Today is Friday, July 24th and Taylor Swift just released her latest album yesterday.  I have been working on this review for a few days, not quite sure how to work in the beautiful artwork on the front cover, of which I knew I had to have because it is glittery and colorful and speaks to me, despite the fact that you should never judge a book by its cover.  And there in the song, “Illicit Affairs” I see it all clearly now.  Abby is all over this cover.  Doyle’s story began with her husband’s illicit affairs, but her story didn’t end there.  She got out of that relationship and Abby reawakened her life to one filled with colors “you know I can't see with anyone else.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment