Monday, September 18, 2017

An Open Letter to Ellen: Come Back to the Emmys

Dear Ellen,
Though we’ve never actually met, I think you are one of the most down-to-earth celebrities I could ever meet.  You are kind, funny and classy: 3 things that seemed to be missing from last night’s Emmys.

We all know the political arena has changed dramatically over this past year.  Our country has become more divided than ever before and while satire and comedy have always been front and center at the Emmys, this year in particular, they seemed to be the driving force.  Gone were the flashy, opening musical numbers, replaced instead with jokes that made me feel uncomfortable as an audience member.

I tuned in expecting to see sparkly outfits, and a political joke thrown in here or there.  Instead, I saw a host who chose to use his own beliefs to drive an awards show that is supposed to provide entertainment to those watching.

While I know it’s naïve to think that political beliefs wouldn’t come up at all given our current state of affairs and also given the choice in host, it none-the-less for me, was the wrong choice and the wrong approach to a time-honored, American tradition.

The choice of host should be bestowed upon someone who knows how to navigate our world in a way that doesn’t offend people but makes them laugh.  I admire anyone who can make you get up out of your seat and dance, who chooses to entertain with empathy and isn’t afraid to be a little silly. 

I’m not sure at what point I turned off the Emmys, but I do know if Ellen was hosting this wouldn’t have been the case.  So please, Emmys, next year bring back the fun or I’ll be once again tuning out.       

Signed,

A Disgruntled Fan

No comments:

Post a Comment